Everywhere you look these days, women are walking around with luxurious, advertisement-ready eyelashes, and guess what? That’s not Maybelline, lady. Eyelash extensions have been an insider secret for better half of the last decade, made popular recently by reality TV shows such as Real Housewives and Keeping Up with the Kardashians, where it's obvious the women don't dare leave their multimillion dollar estates without them. As ridiculous as those shows are, I'd be lying if I said I didn't experience a twinge of lash envy every time I turned on the tube.
Unlike what makes those shows tick, the last thing you want on your wedding day is drama, but why not go there with your look? If you're a self-indulging fashion addict like me, you might find it a bit of a struggle to find new things that make you feel extra glamorous and pampered as a bride. For me, it was a couture dress, expensive hair treatments and—for the first time—eyelash extensions.
One of my greatest fears with my wedding was that I'd inevitably get mistaken for The Joker during teary vows with mascara running down my face, so when a newly married friend recommended this service, I was all ears. No need for mascara, no mess? Sign me up! My friend had great things to say about Edina's Jett Makeup and its owner Amy Presson. Two weeks before my wedding, Amy outfitted me with miracle lashes made of mink and within a few hours I felt like a walking Dior ad. Whether you want to achieve that over-the-top Kim K. vibe or something more fringy and romantic for your wedding day, Amy and her staff at Jett can glam you up. The best part? The lashes last well into the honeymoon! Here's what Amy had to tell us about the lash extension process.
My own eyelash makeover from Jett!
How are eyelash extensions a good fit for brides?
A bride is the focal point of a wedding, and her wedding pictures will be looked at for years to come. As a result, brides seek out the very best in beauty for their special day. Eyelash extensions have been worn by Hollywood stars for several years to enhance their beauty, and they are the most natural eye enhancing beauty application available. Unlike strip lashes which may only be applied a few times, the bride will continue to enjoy lush, long lashes during her honeymoon and beyond.
What materials are used for the eyelashes?
Jett Makeup performs extensive research on lash materials and selects only the most attractive and durable products for our customers. Several types of eyelash extensions are available to fit every budget and desired look:
- Synthetic – 1st generation. Synthetic lashes are the most commonly applied lash in salons today and are made of a polyester thread.
- Silk – 2nd generation. Silk lashes are softer, lighter and more flexible in comparison with synthetic lashes. They also have more luster than synthetic lashes and are made of silk.
- Mink – 3rd generation. 100 percent natural cruelty free mink fur. Not to be mistaken for “Minkys” brand and “faux mink” lashes which are not natural fur. Real mink fur lashes produce the most natural look, are the most comfortable to wear and are the choice of A-list celebrities.
Day-of makeup routine
How does getting eyelash extensions save women time? The makeup routine takes much less time since women with eyelash extensions no longer need to apply and retouch mascara. Women who have eyelash extensions enjoy the benefit of “waking up” beautiful every day without smudgy makeup at the gym or pool.
What are Jett's top five tips for caring for eyelash extensions?
- Avoid the use of oil-based cleansers
- Do not get lashes wet within 48 hours of application
- Do not curl, perm, or tint your eyelash extensions
- Do not apply mascara on top of the eyelash extensions
- Avoid sleeping on your face, rubbing your eyes or pulling on your lashes
What do you think is the No. 1 misconception about eyelash extensions? The most common misconception about eyelash extensions is that they can make your lashes fall out. If properly applied, each eyelash extension is bonded to your natural eyelash with medical grade adhesive. Eyelashes are shed, like other hair types, from the follicle. Each eyelash has its own growth cycle that typically lasts six to eight weeks. Other environmental conditions can stimulate eyelash shedding, but a proper eyelash extension application does not have a direct effect on the lifecycle of your lashes.
Eyelashes by Jett
Is it painful? No! The procedure is very relaxing and involves the client lying down while the lash technician applies eyelash extensions to their natural eyelashes with a medical grade adhesive. A full set of eyelash extensions takes about 2 hours, and an eyelash extension fill takes about 1 hour… just enough time to get in a little nap and return back to the day refreshed.
What is your biggest makeup DO and biggest makeup DON'T ?
- Do bring lots of pictures of makeup styles and colors you prefer to your initial beauty consultation. Don’t deviate too drastically from your normal evening makeup look and keep your makeup appearance classic.
- Don’t procrastinate! Get your eyelash extensions at least two weeks in advance of your wedding so that any adjustments can be performed in advance of the event.
Jett Makeup // 3940 West 50th Street, Edina, MN 55424 // 952.856.4888