Planning your registry is one of those things that should be fun.You and your beau get to hit the stores with that handy dandy little gun and scan anything and everything you may need for your future. Only, sometimes it isn't fun. It's stressful. Choosing the color of your dishes that will host countless Christmases to come can be a weighty decision—and when you mix that with the countless decisions that accompany wedding planning, registering is often viewed as more of a chore than an adventure.
If you're feeling bogged down by the prospect of registering, take a step back from the decision making process a few days before you hit the stores—you'll want to head into your outing with a fresh perspective, so if you've spent the last few days selecting linens and florals you may be decisioned out. Also, pick a day where you and your signifanct other can hit the stores and follow it up with a date night—a well earned reward for all your hard work.
Also, plan your stores ahead of time. I may not be able to recommend which china pattern to choose, but I can recommend the stores in town that have the best perks and merch for you. My advice: Check these out before looking elsewhere. But most importantly, have fun!
1. Macy's: Using a store that is easily available across the country for your guests (but is also easy to update and manage) is key. You'll have 90 days to complete your registry with 10 percent off (and you can add things post nuptials to get the discount). Plus, if you have a Macy's card, you can get monthly savings passes, 10 percent rewards on the purchases you make, and five percent rewards on the purchases your guest makes.
2. Williams-Sonoma: If you're crazy about your kitchen, Williams-Sonoma is a top option in town. And how's this for a bonus: Gift cards you receive for W+S are good at sister stores West Elm and Pottery barn, too.
3. Crate and Barrel: A 10 percent completion discount is pretty standard, but C&B also lets you apply it to items that aren’t on your registry (read: furniture) so you can complete your nesting phase for up to six months post nuptials.
4. Ampersand: Sure, the big box stores are easy for out-of-towners, but a registry at Ampersand allows your guests to shop local! This Galleria store has quality lines such as Juliska, Mariposa, Match, and McKenzie Childs, but the best part is the customer service—registering is a whole lot more fun when you can share the experience with a clerk who cares.
5. Surdyk's: Wine. And spirits. On a registry? Need we say more?