Photo by Caitlin Abrams
Makeup. It's not something you immediately think about when you get engaged, but it's a very important piece of pulling your wedding day look together. It's also something you don't want to have to worry about lasting through hundreds of photos, plenty of sips of champagne, and lots of kisses with your new husband or wife.
For winter brides especially, selecting the right color and product can prevent you from appearing "washed out" against a stark white background. "Skin that looks like skin is still a request, but brides are becoming more comfortable in a structured, glam look," says Brett Dorrian of Brett Dorrian Artistry Studios. "We are seeing less of the soft pinks and barely-there clean beauty look. Winter brides are embracing a darker eye and a more wine/berry-toned lip."
Translation: Ditch your everyday hues. It's time to get bold. Here are some of Brett's basics, plus a few favorites of our own.
1. Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara (Blackest Black). "It's an old standard, but it's fantastic."
2. Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre. "Fragrance free and great for sensitive skin."
3. Skindinavia Bridal Makeup Finish. "Keeps makeup on longer."
4. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes (Matte Black). "Waterproof and a lovely range of colors."
5. Sigma Beauty Eye Shadow (Eiffel). Perfect for creating that smokey look.
6. Ulta Cheek Color (Adore). A touch of drama to highlight your cheekbones.
7. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick (Grenadine). Don't be afraid of red. With blue undertones, this color looks good on everyone. Brides, which products will you be using on your big day?