When it comes to weddings, brides are always looking for that "next best thing," something truly unique that will set their special day apart from a sea of white dresses, three-tier cakes, and a structured bouquet of red roses. While there is nothing wrong with being traditional, tools such as Pinterest have revolutionized the way we think about our weddings and encourage us to incorporate the trends of the time into our Big Days.
No one understands the upcoming trends better than The Event Gallery. This evening marks its first-ever Trend Open House, a collaboration with Girl Friday and countless Minnesota vendors to showcase the must-know trends of 2014. Brides-to-be will be able to wander through 10 different displays, sipping on wine and enjoying the music of a live jazz band while gathering tons of ideas for their own nuptials. It's truly, as The Event Gallery describes, Pinterest come to life. "The trend displays are really neat," says The Event Gallery director Jenna Rogers. "They show several ideas of how to bring one trend to life." A mix of art and fashion, this event is all about making trends accessible, adds Girl Friday stylist Carly Van Veldhuizen. "Come out and take a look at the booths," she says. "There's something for every bride and you're sure to be inspired."
Without further ado (or "I do"), here's what's on the docket for the new year:
1. Sequin Sweetheart: True girly girls will love the colors—pink, rose gold, copper, blush—and the sparkle of this classically romantic trend.
2. Yarn Bomb: For the crafty brides, this look combines texture and one of the hottest colors of the year—cobalt blue.
3. Into the Woods: With moss, birch trees, and birdcages, this trend gives off an elegant woodland vibe.
4. Washi Tape: Geometric patterns are huge right now and can easily be accomplished (in nearly every color) with washi tape.
5. Man Bar: Inspired by custom Mr. and Mrs. cocktails, this vintage man bar is all about the groom. Think bourbon, whiskey, and Mad Men.
6. Farm to Table: An update on the barn theme, featuring wooded tables and vegetables incorporated into the flowers, centerpieces, and background.
7. Black and White: Paper lovers, rejoice! This trend pulls inspiration from newspapers, book pages, and other paper goods.
8. Paint Chips: DIY brides will have a blast using paint chips to create ombre gift display tables, wrapping paper, or colorful backdrops. (P.S. Since you can pick up paint chips for free from stores like Menard's or Home Depot, it's trendy and budget-friendly.)
9. Winter Wonderland: Embrace the season. The Event Gallery used cotton balls to create a snowy vibe.
10. Industrial Modern: Industrial doesn't have to mean stiff or bland. The Event Gallery found a way to make industrial seem romantic with metal and wood accents, and by mixing vintage with contemporary.
5–8 p.m. 2909 Bryant Ave. S., Mpls., 612-360-3586, the-eventgallery.com