By Rachel Torgerson
Guys, are you ready to take the next step with that special someone? (Or, girls, are you ready to drop a major hint?)
Buying an engagement ring is a huge purchase, and to many it can be daunting. "Many guys enter the store nervous about buying a ring," says Candace Torguson, store manager of Wedding Day Diamonds in Burnsville. But, between the jewelry consultant's expertise and your own knowledge of your sweetheart, you'll be able to leave a store assured that she'll love her new ring.
With the help of Wedding Day Diamonds, we've created a list of ten easy steps for buying an engagement ring—take notes!
1. Select a jeweler you trust that specializes in engagement rings. This way there will be a broader selection of rings and designers to chose from.
2. Be sure you have an educated diamond consultant to help you along the way. There is a lot to know about diamonds and ring styles.
3. Rings can range from a few hundred to many thousands of dollars. Have an idea of a price range that fits your budget.
4. Find a jeweler with an outstanding warranty. Her ring will be worn every day for the rest of her life.
5. Always purchase a diamond loose (free from a band). A diamond's characteristics and true beauty are best measured when a diamond is shown alone in natural light.
6. Two diamonds may look similar online or on paper and look completely different in person. Trust your eye and buy the one that is the most appealing.
7. Consider your initial investment and the ability to upgrade in the future. Many couples decide to upgrade for an anniversary or special occasion.
8. The surprise isn't in the ring but in the moment. If you're still worried, take her along! More and more, couples shop for rings together. Torguson thinks this is a great idea but warns, "Some ladies want it to be a complete surprise and others want to be very involved in the process."
9. Purchasing a ring is part of the experience of getting engaged. It should be in a relaxed environment with someone you trust.
10. Relax! Remember, she will love any ring you give her because you selected it with her in mind!
Now, all you need to do is pop the question!