Photo by Becca Sabot
Forget the overpriced floral arrangements. Put down the bottle of Kendall Jackson chardonnay (you know the one). And don’t even think about making dinner reservations unless you’ve already ordered the corsage. All your significant other really wants on Valentine’s Day is to get naked and have her feet rubbed. Fortunately, the Twin Cities is a hotbed (ha!) of spas that offer the royal treatment—from impossibly plush to profoundly therapeutic.
• Book your favorite girly girl for an afternoon of head-to-toe pampering at The Beauty Room. I recommend a cut, color gloss, Arcona facial, and gel mani. 4300 Chicago Ave. S., Mpls., 612-724-4111, thebeautyroommpls.com
• Get worked over from head to toe at Spot Spas, where ashiatsu, an adaptation of an ancient form of barefoot massage, is popular with guys, who tend to like the sensation of someone walking on their backs. 401 Hennepin Ave. E., Mpls., 612-331-4182; 1600 W. Lake St., Mpls., 612-823-7768, spotspas.com
• If you’re trying to impress, splurge on one of Ivy Spa Club’s luxury services such as the Collagen Booster Therapy or Oriental Ceremony, a Balinese-inspired body treatment straight out of Eat Pray Love. 201 S. 11th St., Mpls., 612-343-3131, ivyspaclub.com
• I don’t know a single woman who doesn’t love a good facial, and I only trust my pores to Sara Mattson Skin Therapy (6420 W. Lake St., St. Louis Park, 612-922-1511, saraskin.com), Sonja Eileen Aesthetics (4748 Chicago Ave. S., Ste. 13, Mpls., 612-799-3588, sonjaeileen.com), Kristin at Bespoke Hair Artisans (3918 W. 49 1/2 St., Edina, 952-224-4062, bespokehairartisans.com), and Kate at Phresh Spa Salon (Shops at West End, 651-288-4040,phreshspasalon.com)
• Escape to Fusion LifeSpa for the best kind of couple’s therapy: healing bath rituals in a Japanese soaking tub, followed by fluffy robes and green tea before a roaring fire. 18142 Minnetonka Blvd., Deephaven, 952-345-3335, fusionlifespa.com
Perfume on Vday can be so cliché, but I’d happily make an exception for this intoxicating elixir in the prettiest of bottles, new from local designer Laura Nelli. Spicy, warm, and exotic, it’s definitely not for the faint of heart. One of Two ($85), by Nelle, nellehandbags.com