photo by Steph Wilbur Ash
After nearly two full weeks of winter break, a break that was often brutally cold, leaving us parentals cooped up with the kids (and consequently sometimes locked in our bathrooms), Governor Dayton has declared statewide school closings on Monday due to cold.
“The safety of Minnesota’s school children must be our first priority,” he said.
With a clear nod toward the danger posed to children by the brutal cold, here’s how the JuiceBox nation responded:
* “It might be more dangerous for my kids to stay home.” Darla Kashian, Minneapolis, mom to Noa (6) and Judah (3)
* “I’m dropping my kids off at school on Monday regardless.” —Lizzie Hamline Hilberg, Medina, mom to Amelia (10), Bennett (8), William (5), and Henry (3)
* “Sending the kids to Dayton’s house. #frostbiteme”—Heid Erdrich, Minneapolis, mother of two (ages 11 and 14)
* “And why isn’t marijuana legal in Minnesota?” —Brian Frink, Mankato, grandpa to Wyatt (5) and Grant (18 months)
* “Dayton has a cold? That's hardly a valid reason to declare a state holiday.”—Matthew McFarlane, Chaska, dad to Fiona (1)
* “I'm fine with it. The only one I have left is a senior in high school, and she'll sleep until two in the afternoon and then bake cookies.” —Susan Montag, St. Cloud, mom to Emma (18)
* “From my day care provider: ‘Please monitor the news as Tuesday could be as cold and the Governor may act again.’” Patricia Straub, St. Paul, mom to Manny (5)