Photo from Minneapolis Parks Facebook page
Family skate nights are happening all over the Twin Cities! Here’s where and when (and who’s serving hot chocolate to boot).
Wells Fargo WinterSkate, St. Paul | Daily through February 7, hours vary
- $4 skate rental. Check out the WinterSkate webcam before you go to avoid the crowds.
Bryant Square Rec Center, Minneapolis | Fridays: January 8 until February 5, 5:30-7 p.m.
- Hot chocolate and free skate rentals.
Lyndale Farmstead Rec Center, Minneapolis | Fridays and Saturdays: January 8 until February 19, 6-8 p.m.
- Free skate rental and table tennis and foosball in the park building.
Saturdays: January 9, January 23, and February 6, 8-10 p.m.
- They’ll keep the rink open late, with an outdoor fire and a DJ spinning music on the ice. For preschoolers 3-5, there are also free skating lessons on Saturdays in January from 11-noon. Helmets are encouraged.
Windom Northeast Rec Center, Minneapolis | Fridays, January 8 until February 12, 6-8 p.m.
- “Fire and ice” family skate nights include an outdoor fire, skating (bring your own skates), sledding, s’more-making, hot chocolate, and popcorn.
Van Cleve Rec Center, Minneapolis | Monday, January 18, 1-3 p.m.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day skating with free skate rental, hot chocolate, and coffee.
Logan Rec Center, Minneapolis | Monday, January 18, 3-5 p.m.
- An MLK Day skate with hot chocolate, hot apple cider, and snowshoeing. Bring your own skates.
Hayden Heights Rec Center, St. Paul |Friday, January 22, 6-7:30 p.m.
- A family skate night with board games, coloring, hot cocoa, and cookies. Ice skates will be on hand in limited numbers.
Battle Creek Rec Center, St. Paul | Friday, February 6, 6-8 p.m.
- It’s a “Winter Lock Out” with skating, skiing, snowshoeing, and sledding (BYO sled). Coffee and hot chocolate will be served.
Phalen Rec Center, St. Paul | Friday, February 19, 6-7:30 p.m.
- A family skate night with board games, coloring, hot cocoa, and cookies. Ice skates will be on hand in limited numbers. Plus: General skating at dozens of other parks in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
And for the winter haters out there, family roller skate nights:
Roller Garden, St. Louis Park | Fridays, 5-8 p.m.
- $5 admission and $3 skate rental. On the speakers: Top 100 tunes sans explicit language.
Cheap Skate Roller Center, Coon Rapids | Fridays, 6-10 p.m.
- $9 admission and $3 skate rental. Glow sticks, laser lights, blackout skates, and fog make for a groovy family night out.