So here is a complete list of all the new food items if you want a list (see way below). I think it’s complete at least. It’s got to be one of the worst years in recent memory for strictly new foods. The ones worth eating for me are the corn ice cream at Blue Moon Diner and the Minneapple Pie from a café in Rogers that is a new vendor this year—huge props for both in pulling off the nearly impossible. On the flip side, the crab fritters at Ollies and the chocolate covered jalapenos are just awful.
Now I gotta tell you, items such as the breakfast lollipop, the fruit wrapped in tortilla and several others are not far behind. Yeccchh. What were they thinking? Don’t they ever try their own supply??? How can they make them, eat it, and say “Wow. That’s worth selling, people will love it!” I think they say, “Wow, we can make a killing slinging this junk and people wont care!” Now in fairness, I did not try all the new fair foods because many just didn’t look like they were worth it. But in a few days I will try to check out a few more newcomers . . . if I can.
On the classics side of the equation . . . I love Papa’s Gelato, Kiwanis Malts, a footlong from Speedy’s booth although he was only at the fair one day last year, Sausage by Cynthia, CinneMinnies, Gizmo Sandwich, French Fries at the real FF Booth, Mouth Trap curds, Tom Thumb donuts, jalapeno Cheese on a stick, Martha’s Cookies, Salty Tart, Nitro Ice Cream combo-ed with 1919 Root beer, Fried green Tomatoes, sweet corn roast, mocha on a stick . . . and I am sure I am missing some of my faves.
My List of New Foods
- The Breakfast Lollipop (a sausage patty dipped in corn muffin batter, deep fried and served on-a-stick with a side of maple syrup)
- Carnitas Asian Fusion Tacos (pork carnitas served on a flour or spinach tortilla topped with cabbage and a mixture of cucumber, jalapeno and red pepper, and topped with Asian sauces)
- Chocolate-covered jalapeno peppers on-a-stick
- Coushari rice with lentils (rice and lentils with Holy Land sauce, served with a side of pasta or fried onions)
- Crab fritters (crab meat, Caribbean herbs and spices with veggies, deep-fried into a fritter, served with southwest dipping sauce)
- Deep-fried cookie doughDirt Dessert (Oreo cookies, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, cream cheese and gummy worms)
- Fresh fruit wraps (sliced fresh fruit wrapped in a soft tortilla shell with sweet and creamy cheese spread)
- The Grilled Yankee Apple Pie & Chocolate Sandwich (Minnesota-grown apples sauteed with spices and topped with chocolate, grilled in Brioche bread)
- Jamaican jerk fries
- Mexican Horchata beverage (cold drink made of rice, almonds, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar)
- Northwoods Salad on-a-stick (mozzarella cheese, basil and grape tomatoes on-a-stick drizzled with dressing and served over a bed of Minnesota wild rice salad)
- Pizza kabobs on-a-stick
- Pretzel dogs (a hot dog baked in pretzel dough, served on-a-stick)
- Southside Rib Tips
- Sweet corn ice cream (cream-based ice cream blended with sweet kernels and served in a waffle cone with a choice of wild blueberry or caramel bacon topping)
- White Razzie Puppies on-a-stick (Belgian waffles with white chocolate baked inside, then dipped in dark chocolate and drizzled with raspberry sauce)
- Chow Fun and other Vietnamese fare at Pham's Deli
- T-Bonz Concessions with grilled chicken pita and Italian sausage sandwiches
- Minneapple Pie specializing in homemade deep-fried apple pie served hot with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream