Is it bad that I am already on my second round of cookies? Other than a massive session of panic baking, this Fresh Forkin' Friday will kick off a weekend of Gluhwein making. Sunday marks the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, and--like a little booze fairy--I will be dropping off bottles of Gluhwein on the doorsteps of my most beloved in a warm-and-spicy gesture that says "We can get through the darkness with a little spirit."
Early this week, the tiny Uptown seafood eatery Three Fish closed its doors. It was an interesting little place, tucked away in that strip mall mess anchored by Whole Foods. We will be watching to see what lands there during the giant reshuffle that will be 2009.
Bill Baskin has left the very green building. The much-lauded chef has cooked his last plate at Red Stag Supperclub, the NE Minneapolis restaurant he helped design and create. Baskin himself claims it was just time to move on, and his first project seems a meaty choice: He'll be working as a charcutier/sausage maker at the Seward Co-op.
Just a reminder: Winter Foods Market at D'Lish this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. It is your last chance to stock up on tasty stocking stuffers for all your little locavores!
I know it's hard to think past this evening and how you're going to fight through the parking lot at Target, but you really should be considering New Year's Eve if you haven't already. There are some great menus and deals out there this year. Here's a quick sampling of a few:
- Grand Cafe will be doing two tasting menus: veg and meat, fish and fowl.
- 128 Cafe is hosting a four-course prix fixe dinner for $49 per person.
- On the cheap, Bryant Lake Bowl will throw in dinner, a bottle of wine/beer, and bowling for two for an amazing $35.
- On the gala, Three Sons is sponsoring Moonshine on the Mississippi, a back-tie event at St. Anthony Main to benefit the Emergency Foodshelf Network.
- Chino Latino is throwing a beach party. The three-course, $50 tasting menu for two includes Crabby Arty's New Year's sole, but apparently no habanero hell poppers. Huh.
- El Meson will have a special menu and live flamenco dancing.
- The New Year's menu at Corner Table makes me think I'd be sitting there for a long time trying to pick a dish with which to ring out the year.
I'll do some more digging and post a few more for you next week.