Portraits by: Becca Sabot
Documentary Photos by: Stephanie Colgan & Katherine Harris
• • • • • • •
Let’s banish a few myths about independent wardrobe stylists— or
image consultants, as many of them prefer to be called.
1. You do not need to be a movie star, an heiress, or a size 2 to use a stylist.
2. Stylists do not work on commission, so they have no incentive to push expensive items.
3. Stylists won’t throw out your entire wardrobe—that only happens for shock value on What Not to Wear.
4. They don’t limit themselves to high-end department stores—in fact, a professional stylist is probably better than you are at finding the discount gems.
5. The service is not only for people who don’t like to, or don’t have time to, shop.
Everyone can benefit from a stylist’s discerning eye—even magazine editors. Three of our editors were ready to stretch their style. A friend (or co-worker) might have told them what looks bad, but the pros helped to define what looks best on them, specifically. They found totally updated outfits, from head to toe. But beyond those new looks, our editors also got advice that will help them make smarter and chicer buys when they shop on their own. And that service costs less than a pair of designer heels.