All stripes on deck! Your go-to basics are stepping up for a season of pattern play. First up: the blazer, which gets reinvented this spring. In color, pattern, and soft fabrications, blazers are sure to replace cardigans as your essential coverup—for work and after hours. See how we’re mixing it up for spring.
Blazer ($428), by Nanette Lepore, from Arafina; striped shirt ($48), from Ann Taylor; Low-rise legging jean ($69.95), from Gap
The Short Suit
We, too, are daunted by the prospect of wearing shorts in public. But the blazer makes all the difference. Now you’re pulled together and polished while showing some skin. For those blessed with great gams, it’s a modern alternative to the sundress with cardigan.
Floral blazer ($550) and shorts ($295), by Rachel Comey, from Arrow • Striped blouse ($295), by Nili Lotan, and Heels ($635), by Costume National from Grethen House • Colored bracelet ($148), by Kate Spade, from Melly: Gold and wood bangle ($45), from n’etc • Necklace ($352), from Ladyslipper • Cork paint splashed bag ($57), by Street Level, from Fringe
Take It from the Top
Reinvent last year’s tube dress with a silky new top. A belt cinches the look.
Silk top ($110), by Line & Dot, from Motto • Striped tube dress ($98), from Banana Republic • Belt ($16.99), by Madden International from Target • Clutch ($242), by House of Harlow, from Ladyslipper
The old theory that horizontal stripes make you look fat? Not true when the lines hug your curves like this. Rather than getting all matchy-matchy, pair it with another vibrant hue.
Top ($48), from Ann Taylor • Skirt ($19.99), by Mossimo, from Target • Necklace ($249), by Danni Jo, from Ladyslipper • Slip-ons ($145), by Schutz, from Ladyslipper
Pattern is the new color where denim is concerned. (Note how the floral print is more pronounced farther down the leg, for a figure-flattering effect.) Balance the bold bottom with a skinny stripe on top.
Blazer ($188), by Lilly Pulitzer, from Melly: Cashmere sweater ($375), by Enza Costa, from n’etc • Jeans ($275), by Mother, from Grethen House • Yellow sneakers ($640), by Isabel Marant, from Grethen House • Bag ($378), by Kate Spade, from Melly • Bracelet ($50), from Parc Boutique
Sometimes, a great dress is all you need. Flattering cut, fabulous colors. Try it with flats or heighten the look in heels.
Striped dress ($478), by Kate Spade, from Melly • Flats ($475), by Ferragamo, from Pumpz & Company • Necklace ($125), from Motto
Where to Buy:
• Ann Taylor, five metro locations including Southdale Center, 952-922-6868, anntaylor.com
• Arafina, Galleria, 952-925-1565, arafina.com
• Arrow, 121 N. 1st St., Mpls., 612-339-1663
• Banana Republic, seven metro locations including Rosedale Center, 651-636-5022, bananarepublic.com
• Fringe, 3906 W. 50th St., Edina, 952-746-4922
• Gap, nine metro locations including Mall of America, 952-854-1011, gap.com
• Grethen House, 4930 France Ave. S., Edina, 952-926-8725, grethenhouse.com
• Ladyslipper, 4940 France Ave. S., Edina, 952-224-1900, ladyslipperboutique.com
• Melly, Galleria, 952-929-9252, mellyonline.com
• Motto, 3105 Hennepin Ave. S., Mpls., 612-545-5636, shopmotto.com
• n’etc, 5005 France Ave. S., Mpls., 612-922-9321, netcmsp.com
• Parc Boutique, 320 Hennepin Ave. E., Mpls., 612-353-4966, parcboutique.com
• Pumpz & Company, Galleria, 952-926-2252, pumpzco.com
• Target, target.com