Architecture + Design
Dreaming of a Remodel?
Get advice and ideas to inspire your next project
Jolynn Johnson, owner and president of Crystal Kitchen Center, uses these key design features to bring warmth and personality to new kitchen projects.
Lighter shades of pale
• Pure white is always right, but creamy biscuit and antique white make beautiful backdrops for cooking, eating, and entertaining.
• No time to sit? Stand-up desks with charging stations for phones, iPods, laptops, and iPads are in demand.
Sliding barn doors
• Stylish and space-efficient, these classic doors are ideal for cabinets, closets, and doorways.
• Just 12 to 15 inches deep, these slim storage spaces are fitted with shelves for food, dishes, and small appliances.
• Eggplant purple, cabernet red, rosy radish pink, and sage green lend flavor and warmth to kitchens and dining rooms.
Back to Remodel Homepage
• Painted cabinets are right at home with wood cabinets and thick, freestanding open shelves. (pictured at top)