By Stephanie March
By Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl
By Jason DeRusha
Harvest Beer Festival
By Parties Editors
The Morning After
By Tad Simons
Arts Off The Cuff
by Arts & Nightlife Editors
By Allison Kaplan
By Mpls.St.Paul Magazine
ASID MN Showcase Home
By Edina Realty
Stephanie Wilbur Ash
By Emily Howald Sefton
By Real Brides-to-Be
Atmosfere North Loop
By: | Posted: 03/07/2013
by Livy Traczyk
Mpls.St.Paul Home asked local designers Brooke Voss and Emily Welna of Martha O’Hara Interiors for some fun and easy tips on how to transition your home from winter to spring.
1. Think Green. Voss says: “Livening up your home is a simple as adding new green life to it." Her favorite go-to plant? The fiddle leaf fig tree. “It’s the ONLY house plant in my design repertoire. Instantly adds a little height, life, and green to any space.”
Added perk: Fiddle leaf fig tree maintenance is super easy!
2. Accessorize. Switching out home accessorizes is fun and relatively easy trick. Welna told MSP to think about changing art or wall decor, putting away warm fur throws and bringing out your vibrant vases full of fresh flowers.
3. Be Inspired By the Small Space! Adding modern or floral wallpaper to a small room—like a foray or powder room—can have a huge effect. “I truly think that if you are not inspired by the walls you live in it totally has an impact on your overall being,” Voss says.
She recommends Harlequin or Designers Guild for something fresh and trendy. Or, if you're in the mood for a total winter overhaul, try something funky such as wallpapering your ceiling or turning a striped paper sideways for a horizontal banding effect.
4. Pillows, pillows, pillows. Welna couldn't stress it enough. “Pillows are an easy and fun way to transition your home from one season to another. Using cozy fabrics and warm colors in the winter and bright, cheerful patterns in the spring and summer, is a fun way to either bring that comfy winter feel or that care free spring feel into your home.”
5. Let The Light In! With daylight savings there's even more time to savor the sunlight. Opening your shades (or replacing them entirely) will definitely make your home feel like spring! Voss suggests turning wooden blinds up, or switching them out with stationary or traversing drapery.
Insider scoop: Check out a fun print from Amy Kayrn (Tapis Décor) or Villa Romo (KDR) to add a little spring flair.
Style watch for your home.
Our editor's guide to 1000+
shops and spas across the
Search the Guide
Like MSPMag on Facebook
Follow MSPMagAtHome on Pinterest
Mpls.St.Paul Magazine | mspmag.com
© 2014 MSP Communications, Inc. All rights reserved
About Us | Contact Us | Media Kit | Pressroom | Subscriber Services
RSS Feeds | Site Map |